Gratitude unlocks the fullness of life. It turns what we have into enough, and more. It turns denial into acceptance, chaos to order, confusion to clarity. It can turn a meal into a feast, a house into a home, a stranger into a friend.” ~Melody Beattie
Usually, I measure my achievement with the amount of money I’ve been able to make within a year, the number of Big features and my blog growth. But If there is one word That describes my 2018, it is “Growth”.
This year I learned and unlearned a lot of things and I’m going to list them below.
- Freedom to speak my truth and Wear my passion. If you follow me on insta you should be used to my rants by now. Although I’ve always been a vocal person when it comes to issues that concern me, i always just block a lot of things out since they do not affect me directly-typical Nigerianism. I took my time to learn a lot of things affecting women around the world. I learned more about intersectional feminism and I started becoming more aware. I started calling out misogyny within my circle and volunteered for a few organizations. I can’t wait to do much more this year.
- Learning to Self aware; I recognized that it is my responsibility to change how I react to certain things and behaviours. Self-awareness has allowed me to understand what’s going on in my head and why. I no longer dwell on why this person did what. I try to consider that I may have played a part in some of the events that have happened in the past. I’ve also decided to accept responsibility for my actions and accept the consequences.
Some of the ways I am learning self-awareness include
- Understanding my emotions—what I am feeling and what triggered it—so I can effectively work through and transform my emotional responses (instead of using them to justify unhealthy choices)
- Recognizing my destructive thought patterns so I can redirect them
- Noticing my behavioural patterns and habits so that can make adjustments to change negative ones
- Understanding my beliefs, assumptions, and expectations, and how they influence what I choose to do.
- Accepting that I am responsible for my actions—even if I developed certain patterns in response to events from my past.
- Learning to acknowledge my strengths and abilities and to unleash my power and potential: I got to a point this year where I got really bored of blogging and fashion. I wanted to do more and I wasn’t sure what I wanted to do. I know I didn’t want to go back to having a career in HR. I have never worked with my certificate and I don’t I want to start now. I decided to try to find what I’m interested in and try to take new courses online. I still do not know what I plan on doing next year. I am not making any plans for my blog. I have still not gotten my creative juice back. I plan on going with the flow and hopefully figure things out when the time is right. What I am sure of is my ability to do whatever I want.
- Learning gratitude by looking for things to be grateful for every day and writing them down. I know how blessed I am but I love to complain at the same time. I figured out this had to change, so I searched the internet for on tips on becoming more grateful. I came across a blog post on how to be more grateful and one of the suggestion was writing everything you are grateful for every day. This has improved my life in a lot of ways. I no longer complain like I used to. When I start to feel like things are going bad. I take my gratitude journal and write.
I have a lot more growing to do in the next year and I am very excited to see where it takes me and all of us. As earlier stated, I am not making big plans with my blog this year because i feel like I have to look forward to things way bigger than social media and this space. I will try to write my thoughts more here or on Instagram.
Thank you for the constant love and support. I pray we have a good year with love, happiness and good health.